Camden’s Hotel Plaza comes down
The hotel, built in 1927, was the last hotel, open or closed, to stand in Camden. It shut its doors in 1985 and has remained vacant and corroding ever since. On Tuesday, an 85-foot crane grabbed industrial claw-size fistfuls of brick and metal, dumping the debris onto the ground as passersby paused in the freezing temperatures to gawk.
The Cooper-Grant Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting -
- Special Visit from Cooper’s Ferry discussing the April 17th 3rd Thursday/ Night Art Garden at the north Camden Jail Trail.
- Updates from the Arts Committee and the Development Committee
FEB 24th 7pm – Caruso Room Victor Lofts
Kresge Arts Grant Meeting for Cooper-Grant Feb 25th 6-8pm WWAC.- Placemaking in Camden: Using Interventions, Arts & Culture to Revitalize Camden’s Public Spaces - Cooper’s Ferry recently applied for and was awarded a large grant from the Kresge Foundation to provide art events that will connect and bring to life Cooper-Grant and Cooper’s Poynt. Now the want our input on how to be engage the community and productively use the grant. Ideas needs for programming in Johnson Park/WWAC/ North Camden Jail Trail and other vacant/under-utilized lots and public spaces. - Please come out, learn about the grant and provide your input for what you would like to see. A 3rd Party Consultant PPS will be on site to run the event along with Cooper-Grant NA and Cooper’s Ferry. CLICK FOR MORE INFO - Share with friends and neighbors.
Check out the calendar for other upcoming events including Feb’s 3rd Thursday Art Crawl this week! http://coopergrant.org/calendar/
- St. Anthony’s will be having a great community organizing event on MLK day being led by their incredible Student Leaders(info attached). ALSO, see the article about their successful un-dark the park campaign @http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20140116/NEWS21/301160031/Von-Nieda-Park-event-turns-into-celebration-lights
- MLK day information session on Affordable Health Care (counselors will be available to help with enrollment): 10 am to 2 pm, @ Sacred Heart Rectory, 1739 Ferry Avenue OR 4-8 pm Our Lady of Lourdes, 1499 Vesper Avenue
- Information is being sought for a December homicide–see link to youtube video below and attached composite drawing.
- Save the date for Friends of Cooper River Park community meeting on 1/28/14 @ 7 pm, 1602 Pine Street in Parkside
- Express Tracks runs to 1/26 (performances are @ 8 pm on Friday & Saturdays & a 2 pm matinee on Sundays–tickets are $5 for residents with proof of residency)
- Millennium: 4-6:30 pm $1 admission & Gospel Night from 7 to 11 pm
- Seeds of Hope Community Breakfast: 8:45 am, Fellowship House
- MLK Day Celebration: noon to 4 pm, Camden’s Family Success Center, 2850 Federal Street
- 5th Annual MLK Celebration (keynote speaker: Hon. Phillip Warner, Sr, NJ State Conference NAACP) & lots of entertainment: 7 pm @ the Walt Whitman Center
Great opportunity to have groceries delivered for you:
- Center for Family Services has partnered with Shop-Rite for you to order groceries & have them delivered to the Promise Neighborhood Family Success Center
- Cooper Medical School, Rowan University’s Day of Healthy lifestyles and activities (for ages 3 to high school–event is free & lunch will be provided): 9 am to 3 pm (see attached flier and participation form)
- Blood Drive: 9 am to 2 pm, St. Bartholomew, 751 Kaighn Avenue
- St. Anthony’s Youth Leadership Group’s 5th Annual Day of Community Organizing: 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, St. Anthony’s, 28th & River Road
- Info sessions and sign-ups for Affordable Health Care: 10 am to 2 pm, Sacred Heart Rectory or 4-8 pm Our Lady of Lourdes
- Family Success Center’s MLK day event: 9 am to 12:30 pm, Urban Promise School, 36th & Federal Streets
- NOTE: If you have, or know of, an activity happening on MLK day, please notify us. We will be putting the information on our website and distributing it throughout the community.
- Information sought in Whitman Park Homicide on 1/2/14: go to http://camdendccb.org/camdensheridanhomicide
- Information sought in December, 2013 homicide: go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Una4vEyos and please see the attached composite sketch.
- The Camden Teen Pageant is having a Cinderella Ball on 2/22/14 and they need your help: they need: monetary donations, donations of items and volunteers. For more information contact: Caress Green @ 856 883.6570 email@example.com or send donations to: Caress Embrace Foundation, Caress Green, Coordinator, 433 N. 7th Street, Apt.16N, Camden, NJ 08102.
- Parent workshop on what to do to prevent youth substance abuse before it’s too late: 1/23/14 @ 7 pm, Eastern High School, 1401 Laurel Oak Road (for more info: contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- youth violence prevention training: The CCOP has partnered with Dr. Marshall to run a 3 day training (from 1/23 to /25) for groups working with at-risk youth. If you are interested, please contact Frank Stiefel @ 856 448.5102 or email@example.com.
Scholarship/internship opportunities this summer for youth who are making a difference in their communities:
- Bank of America is offering scholarships for high school juniors & seniors to participate in internships & a week-long summit in Washington D.C.–the deadline is 1/31/14. Students can apply for the program by going to www.bankofamerica.com/studentleaders, or for more information on the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, please visit www.bankofamerica.com/foundation
- 18th Annual BLSA–MLK Champions of Social Justice & Equality Awards Banquet: on 1/24, 6-9 pm, Rutgers Campus Center
- Friends of Cooper River Park Community meeting: 1/28/14
- 2nd Annual SMART Forum: 11 am to 2 pm on 1/30/14 @ The Aquarium
Holiday Parade TONIGHT!
Camden City DCCB/Children’s Garden Holiday Parade – Johnson Park is decorated and the parade with Santa is swinging by Dec 3rd 2013 Starting at 6:30pm. Come out for this annual parade that will come right down Cooper ST to warm up the holidays. Ending Concert at the Children’s Garden. Flyer for information
Symphony in C – Cooper-Grant Exclusive Discount – 50% off ticket for the Dec 7th show at 8pm at the Gordon Theater. Flyer for Information Thank you to Symphony in C for this opportunity.
Cooper-Grant December Holiday Gathering– Walt Whitman Arts Center – Dec 19th 6:30pm-8pm. Looking to do an informal neighborhood meeting to get together, share food, laughter, fun and thoughts on what was can focus on in 2014. If you are interested in helping out – email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cooper-Grant Neighborhood Meeting (last of 2013)Monday Nov 25th 7-8:30pm – Victor Lofts Caruso Room
3. Rutgers-Camden Men’s Soccer (undefeated) will host the NCAA DIII Tourney this weekend at Rutgers’ Community Park in Cooper-Grant. 5:00pm Saturday night vs. York College.
4. 7th Annual Camden Souper Bowl CO-ED Touch Football Tournament- 08102 Grid Iron Classic Fundraiser collecting canned goods for a great cause sponsored by Cooper-Grant resident James Reilly’s – Reilly Property Group (RPG) . Saturday Nov 30th under the lights on Rutgers Community Park. 5pm. After Party at the Victor Pub. Click here for information
5. Camden City DCCB/Children’s Garden Holiday Parade – Johnson Park is decorated and the parade with Santa is swinging by Dec 3rd 2013 Starting at 6:30pm. Come out for this annual parade that will come right down Cooper ST to warm up to the holidays. Ending Concert at the Children’s Garden. Flyer for information
6. Camden County College- Free Trip to Constitution Center – Dec 7th
Flyer for information 10am-2:30pm Limited to 40 spots
7. Symphony in C – Cooper-Grant Exclusive Discount – 50% off ticket for the Dec 7th show at 8pm at the Gordon Theater. Flyer for Information Thank you to Symphony in C for this opportunity.
8. Cooper-Grant December Year-end Meet and Greet – Walt Whitman Arts Center – Dec 19th 6:30pm-8pm. Looking to do an informal neighborhood meeting to get together, share food, laughter, fun and thoughts on what was can focus on in 2014. If you are interested in helping out – email email@example.com
9. Check out a really awesome and positive article written by Cooper-Grant resident Tara Nurin. Thank you Tara! Link
Happy Holidays – Be Safe.
Mayoral Candidates Debate
Friday, November 1, 2013
12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m.
Walter K. Gordon Theater, Rutgers University-Camden
3rd & Pearl Streets, Camden, NJ 08102
Some thoughts about the scheduled time of the Debate…..
Oct 12th 9am-11am Cooper-Grant Neighborhood residents will meet at the Community Garden on the 300 block of Front St. Brooms, shovels, bags etc will be provided to sweep the curbs and cut low hanging branches. Come out to meet your fellow neighbors and make the neighborhood sparkle.
After the clean-up Rutgers-Camden will be hosting Rutgers Homecoming on Linden St from Delaware Ave to Friends Ave. All neighbors are asked to have cars removed from Linden by 5am on Saturday Oct 12th for setup. Free Parking for residents is available at Lot 14 which is on the corners of 3rd, Pearl and Friends Ave starting Friday night. All Cooper-Grant Neighbors are invited to take part in the festivities.
For information on the day’s schedule please visit: