Backyard BBQ Concert – Wiggins Park August 31st 1-10pm
CAMDEN — Health and wellness takes center stage during the 6th Annual Camden Waterfront BBQ at Wiggins Waterfront Park on Sunday, Aug. 31.
The event — which will be held from 1 to 10 p.m. — will feature music — with the sounds of JJ Grey and Mofro — as well as food and other activities.
But, this event is really about getting health and wellness information out there, said Freeholder Ian Leonard.
“We want everyone to come to the waterfront and have a good time at this free event. While they’re there, we want to provide them with wide range of health and wellness information,” said Freeholder Ian Leonard in a press release. “We also want to highlight the numerous services available to residents from the Camden County Department of Health and other local agencies.”
The concert will also feature Big Sam’s Funky Nation, Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, Mia Borders and South Jersey’s own Reverb Brothers.
Ulysses S. Wiggins Waterfront Park is located at the foot of Martin Luther King Boulevard in Camden. For more information about the Camden Waterfront BBQ visitwww.camdencounty.com.
Cooper-Grant Neighborhood Meeting Monday August 25th
The August meeting will be held at the Walt Whitman Art Center (Johnson Park, Front & Cooper), this upcoming Monday, August 25th at 7pm with food available at 6:45pm.
Please come out, there are many things happening, or are about to happen that need more community input.
Recent Article covering 3rd Thursday:
Camden gallery owners hope Art Crawl inspires change in the citySouth Jersey Times It was a lovely night of art and opera in Camden City Thursday night. Yes, you read that correctly — art and opera in Camden. William and Ronja Butler, owners of Gallery Eleven One on Front Street in Camden, moved to the city in 2012 with the hope of awakening a love of art in the area. Shortly after arriving, the couple kicked off the first 3rd Thursday Art Crawl and it has been a hit ever since.
Cooper-Grant Block Party August 16th 1-6pm!
Our annual block party is this Saturday from 1 – 6pm on Linden and Point Streets.
Activities include live art events by William Butler and Christopher Andrew Maier, country games with fabulous prizes, a fire engine and tug o’war, face painting, music, and food.
Please bring a covered dish to share and if possible, a chair. Donations for the event are always accepted and appreciated.
There will be no parking on the 00/100 blocks of Linden, 300 block of Point, and at the intersection of the Rutgers Community Playground from 7am to 7pm on Saturday, August 16th. Free parking available behind the Board of Education building (enter on Delaware Avenue). Thank you for your cooperation regarding parking.
See you Saturday!
Here are few neighborhood updates & opportunities:
- Cooper’s Ferry Partnership is looking for surveyors for the Cooper-Grant / Central Waterfront Neighborhood Plan process. See the attached job description for information regarding this paid position.CGCW Surveyor Job Description (1)
- Yoga and Dance fitness, programming through the Connect the Lots project, will take place in Johnson Park on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other Saturday. Please see the attached flyer for details.OutdoorFamilyFitness2014-1
- Mark your calendars now for the annual Cooper-Grant Neighborhood Association BBQ taking place on Point and Linden Streets on August 16th starting at 1pm.
- The July CGNA meeting will take place on Monday, July 28th at 7pm (food at 6:45pm) in the Walt Whitman Arts Center.
Have a great rest of your week!
Free Yoga and Zumba In Johnson Park
CFP and the YMCA are hosting free, family-friendly fitness classes in Johnson and Northgate Parks on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoons starting next week. The classes are open you youth and adults. A flyer with the details, dates and times for the classes is attached. Could you please include a link to the flyer in Camden Stories tomorrow, next Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and the following Tuesday and Thursday? Click here for more information
From now until Oct - Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:30-7:30pm – every other Saturday
Cooper-Grant June 2014 Events
1. NEXT CGNA Meeting on Monday June 23rd 7-9pm at the WWAC.
2. Neighborhood Traffic Advisory for the Weekend ----
3rd Thursday Art Crawl June 19th http://art11one.com/3rd-thursday/
------Riversharks Thurs-Tuesday (Fireworks F/Sat)
Sat 21st Flyers Alumni Softball game 2:30pm http://www.riversharks.com/
----2 Sold out Shows > Zac Brown Band Th/F SBC
- Back Street Boys Sat SBC
Journey on Sunday SBC http://www.livenation.com/venues/14115/susquehanna-bank-center
3. Cooper-Grant/Cooper's-Ferry/Rutgers-Camden WellsFargo Neighborhood Planning Grant Kick off press event with Mayor Redd, Mickle Towers MLK Blvd - 1pm Tuesday June 24th
4. Rutgers-Camden 29th Annual Writers Conference June 23rd-July 2nd
5. 4th of July Celebration on the Camden Waterfront- Freedom Fest July 3rd-6th
6. Cooper-Grant Neighborhood Block Party Announcement planned for Saturday August 16th 1pm-6pm Linden St Between Point St and 2nd St.
DRPA BFB PATCO TRACK REHAB Begins
I received the following update from the DRPA regarding the PATCO Track Rehabilitation Project. If you have any questions regarding this update or the project overall, please contact Fran O’Brien of the DRPA at f_obrien@DRPA.ORG
or (856) 968-2250.
- A crane is positioned on Pearl St., just east of Third St., today, to remove debris from the track area. Pearl St. is open to traffic but reduced to one lane. A flagger is on hand to direct traffic.
- The Third Street closure is expected is begin on June 5th and last from 1-2 weeks, depending on weather, etc. This closure will enable set up of a platform and the containment of demolition taking place over Third Street. There will also be painting and related sandblasting taking place in this area.
- The project mailer has been customized to include the information we requested at the last SOW monthly stakeholder meeting, and will be mailed to all North Camden addresses. The DRPA will let us know when they mail it out.
3rd Thursday this week, May 15th…..
Thursday, May 15th Participating Venues:
Gallery Eleven One - Art Exhibit & Reception - 5-9pm – Featuring Jacqueline Kemp and Michael DiFrank: local singer-songwriter team with years of combined musical experience. Their repertoire spans across a wide range of musical styles and genres but with a delivery that is all their own-acoustic renditions that touch the heart featuring beautifully woven harmonies and soulful guitar. Jacqueline and Michael’s sets will begin at the the top of the hours at 6pm, 7pm & 8pm. For more information: www.facebook.com/specialsongs4You - William’s paintings will be exhibited as well - (339 N. Front St.) www.art11one.com
Rutgers-Camden’s Stedman Gallery - Art Exhibit 5-8pm - Department of Fine Arts Senior Thesis Exhibition: featuring works by graduating Rutgers-Camden students in a variety of mediums including painting, drawing, photography, graphic design, sculpture, and animation (314 Linden St. on 3rd & Pearl Streets on Rutgers Campus) - Exhibit runs through May 21st www.rcca.camden.rutgers.edu
Filbert Studio – Art Exhibit - 5-8pm – Paintings & sculpture by Jeff Filbert (305 Benson St.)
Catholic Partnership Schools - Art Exhibit, Performances & Awards - The Dreams of Our Children – 4-5pm Exhibit, Reception & Awards at Campus Center at Rutgers University-Camden – 5:15-6:30pm Performances at the Gordan Theatre of Rutgers University-Camden – RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org - (314 Linden St. on 3rd & Pearl on Rutgers Campus) - http://www.catholicpartnershipschools.org
The Victor Lofts - Live Music on the Steinway with pianist Christopher Andrew Maier offering standards as well as his own originals. Performances every 30 minutes at the top of each hour 5-8pm (One Market Street) www.thevictorlofts.com
Victor’s Pub - RCA Bldg./Victor Lofts – Drink Special www.victorspub.com
Friends Restaurant - Food Special – (319 Friends Street – Rutgers Campus)
Market Street Pizzeria & Gourmet Deli - RCA Bldg./Victor Lofts - Food Special www.marketstreetpizzeria.com